Thursday, May 24, 2007

My Boy’s All Grown Up!


I am happy to say that I am no longer a blogging virgin! It’s amazing how much you can learn and develop in such a short period of time when pushed outside of your comfort zone. They say that if it doesn’t kill you, it makes you stronger. Not only has this assignment made me stronger by building my knowledge of current technology trends, I actually found it to be the most enjoyable experience of the entire MBA program thus far. Over the weeks, months, and years to come, I‘ll surely forget many of the facts that were memorized and regurgitated during this past year. However, with such a high engagement level on this assignment, I will never forget my first blog.

I was out of town on the first day of class and therefore missed the course introduction. Looking at the syllabus, the steps involved in creating a blog were unclear to me. I thought I would place a short call to my fellow students who would fill in the gaps for me….nope. No gaps to fill in. They knew no more than I. It was “sink or swim” time, baby! I have always found this to be the best way to learn. However, it’s one of those things you generally look back on with positive feelings. On day 1, the sink or swim approach can be a real tension builder. Now that I am a seasoned veteran, I calmly refer to my site as a blog, having replaced the original name I gave it: “*!#!-ing BLOG!”.

Honestly, it began as tedious task. My thinking was “let’s just bang out 10 articles and get this thing over with”. However, after getting started, I found myself completely engaged in the content. The goal was no longer to “knock them off”. The new goal was to create articles that could be entertaining and informative. In addition to the articles, I became very interested in providing blog add-ons that would enhance the visitor experience. Using my own interests as the foundation, I added a sports ticker and a Sudoku game, along with a few others. As a major fan of both sports and Sudoku, I can entertain myself for hours on my site. I find that having your own forum to post your views is like having your own little talk show.

Although I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience of creating and maintaining my own blog, what I have found to be the most enjoyable aspect of the course has been following the blogs of my fellow “MBAers”. With such busy lives, we don’t get to know each other like we would if we were undergrads. We have families and jobs. These blogs have provided me with the wonderful opportunity of getting to know my classmates just a little bit better. What began with a simple visit to blogger.com has culminated with a network of entertaining, informative sources.

3 comments:

Druggernaut said...

Hey Shane,

Good Blog! I liked your first blog title.

Charles

Louis-Philippe Gauthier said...

Hello Shane,

Well, what can I say... I preferred your first blog title lol. Gret job!

- Louis-Philippe Gauthier
http://www.philippegauthier.info

Anonymous said...

After getting more than 10000 visitors/day to my website I thought your shanelongley.blogspot.com website also need unstoppable flow of traffic...

Use this BRAND NEW software and get all the traffic for your website you will ever need ...

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com

In testing phase it generated 867,981 visitors and $540,340.

Then another $86,299.13 in 90 days to be exact. That's $958.88 a
day!!

And all it took was 10 minutes to set up and run.

But how does it work??

You just configure the system, click the mouse button a few
times, activate the software, copy and paste a few links and
you're done!!

Click the link BELOW as you're about to witness a software that
could be a MAJOR turning point to your success.

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com