Thursday, May 10, 2007

My Ebay Experience: Am I The Only One Getting Screwed?

I would classify myself as an early to late adopter of new technology. I am definitely not out there leading the pack when it comes to purchasing the latest “toys”. Last summer, I decided to try Ebay for the first time. It seemed like all of my friends had been using it for some time. Our rounds of golf would not go by without one of the boys talking about some great deal he got on a golf club from Ebay. I went in search of such a deal.

I decided that I wanted the new TaylorMade R7 driver, the hottest club on the market. It was retailing for $499.99 CDN, $574.99 with tax. I set my maximum price based on the retail price and the savings I was looking for. A few days later, I was thrilled to win the bid for $320 US, $340 US with shipping. Unfortunately, my excitement turned to rage when the club arrived. There were two additional charges: duty and a very expensive UPS brokerage charge that I was not expecting. With the addition of these two charges, the total came to $563.07 CDN. So, for the great savings of $11.92, I spent two weeks waiting for the club to arrive, while losing the customer service and product guarantee I would have secured by purchasing retail.

I decided to give Ebay another shot before Christmas. I won the bid on a statue and promptly paid the seller. Unfortunately, I never received the statue nor my money back from my trustworthy PayPal transaction.

Support your local retailer!

Secure online shopping, my butt……It must be Karma.

No comments: